The Postgraduate Centre, Warangal was granted autonomy in administrative and academic matters by Osmania University in April 1976. It was upgraded to Kakatiya University on 19 August 1976. Its name derives from that of the Kakatiya kings who made Warangal their capital through their 300 year reign beginning in the 10th century.
The University is located about 3 km from Hanamkonda, the district headquarters of Warangal, and 140 km from Hyderabad in Vidyaranyapuri is named after Vidyaranya (the great Sanskrit scholar and commentator on the Vedas) extending over 650 acres. Its jurisdiction, previously centred on Warangal, was extended in 1987 to cover Adilabad, Karimnagar and Khamman.
Started with only 4 departments viz., Telugu, English, Chemistry and Mathematics, later many departments viz.,
- Faculty of science:Botany, Chemistry (Bio Chemistry , Applied Chemistry) ,
Computer Science (PGDCA , MCA, MSc Computer Science , BCA) ,Geology,
Mathematics (Finance Accounting, Statistics),Micro Biology,Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology
- Faculty Of Arts:English,Hindi, sanskrit, Telugu, Urdu
- Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration
- Faculty Of Social Sciences:Economics, History, Political Science, Public Administration,sociology
The main campus; has the university College, University College of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
The second campus at; Subedari , Hanamkonda houses the University Post-Graduate College, University; Arts and Science College, University College of Law.There are five University Post-Graduate Colleges outside Warangal.
The main campus has the buildings for various faculties, administrative building, Humanities, Commerce, Education, Physics, Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Geology, Chemistry, Bio-technology, Indoor stadium, Gymnasium besides Professors' quarters, Lecturers' quarters, Flats for NGOs and Class-IV employees, Health Centre, Guest House, University Canteen, Prataparudra, Ganapati Deva, Pothana and Pharmacy hostels for boys, and Padmakshi Hostel for girls.
The University has Central Instrumentation Centre and provides sophisticated research facilities for advanced research. The facilities are available to teachers and research scholars.
VICE-CHANCELLOR: PROF. N. GOPI
REGISTRAR: PROF. T.Venkat Reddy
The School of Distant Learning and Continuing Education was established in 1988 to offer correspondence-cum-contact courses, non-formal, and vocational and professional education.
The distant taught programmes currently offered include:
- Certificate in Library and Information Science
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Bachelor of General Law, Diploma in Computer Applications
- Postgraduate Diploma in Distance Education
- Diploma in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
- Master of Arts, and Master of Philosophy.
Dr K Murali Manohar
School of Distant Learning and Continuing Education
Warangal 506 009
Phone: (+91 8712) 7701 or 7101 or 7687
- Admission: Eligibility for admission varies depending on the programme. In general, however, applicants must be of minimum age of 21 years and should have passed the entrance examination with merit. Candidates for the MA and MPhil should be graduates.
- Services: In addition to the printed materials, study centres have been established at Warangal, Khamman, Karimnagar and Adilabad. Each study centre has a part-time counsellor in each subject who keeps in touch with the students. Depending on the requirements of the course, weekend classes, summer camps and other contact programmes are arranged at the study centres. Audio and video cassettes are also available for students to listen and view.
- Registration: Registration for the Bachelor of Education is during the period June/July for study to commence in the following May. For the rest of the programmes, students should register during October and no later than December. A registration fee has to be paid.
- Languages: English
- Overseas enrolment: No